Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:10:44 -0500
From:      JD Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing streaming music

Mark Kane wrote:
> Andreas Rudisch wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:12:41 +0100, JD Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Now that I have my sound card working, I was wondering if there is a
>>> port to play streaming music from my favorite college radio station?
>>> The live streams from http://www.wzbc.org send me "PLS" files, which
>>> I understand to be WinAmp "playlist" files.  Is there a FreeBSD app
>>> that can play this streaming format?
>>>
>>> I installed XMMS, but I'm not really sure if there is a plugin for
>>> these files.
>> PLS-files are usually only normal text files containing a playlist of
>> music files or URLs to media streams. All you need to do is open the
>> PLS-file and write down the URL. mplayer, vlc or xmms should all be able
>> to play the music stream.
>>
>> Andreas
>
> If you want to use pls files with XMMS, download them first to a
> directory with fetch/wget or your browser, then in the lower left corner
> of XMMS, click the "+ FILE" button and browse to the pls file.
> Unfortunately with XMMS you can't just put the pls file into "Add URL"
> like in Winamp.

Thanks, this seems to be opening up the stream in XMMS (I'm getting the info
for the radio station), but I'm not getting any sound.  I get sound just fine
if I play an audio CD using xmms. Any ideas why sound wouldn't come out when
playing streaming audio?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.