Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:55:16 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'alternate system clock has died!' message from systat under 3.1-REL & STABLE with SMP

Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
>Marko Bukvic <marko@globix.net> wrote:
>>
>>I've got a new Asus XG-DLS dual Xeon motherboard with two Pentium II 450MHz Xeon
>>procs and if I compile in SMP support I get the following problem:
>>
>>After bootup, if I start top and set the delay seconds (s) to 0(zero) the cpu
>>load for the top process goes all the way up, and then after a little while it
>>goes all the way down and everything has the same cpu utilization of 0.00%.
>>
>>Then if I start systat vmstat 1, it says:
>>
>>	The alternate system clock has died!
>>	Reverting to ``pigs'' display.
>
>We have also seen this on an Asus P2B-DS (440BX chip set) with dual
>PII 450MHz (not Xeon). The problem doesn't occur with 400MHz
>processors. As a guess we tried compiling a kernel with
>BETTER_CLOCK_DIAGNOSTIC but we didn't get any additional diagnostics.

A suggestion from Tor Egge seems to have solved the problem (although
he says it's a kludge that doesn't solve it properly). We added the
contents of rtcintr() to the start of clkintr() in /sys/i386/isa/clock.c.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch   dot@dotat.at   fanf@demon.net
Arthur: "Oh, that sounds better, have you worked out the controls?"