Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:10:53 -0700
From:      "Jason Watkins" <jason_watkins@pobox.com>
To:        "Neil Blakey-Milner" <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        <phantom@FreeBSD.org>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bugzilla-2.14.1

Right, that all makes sense enough. I understand _why_ it and other
applications like it go to data.default by default. I'm trying to think if
there isn't a more elegant way from here to there tho.

For example, I also use /usr/ports/www/gallery, and have it installed twice.
The reason being one user wants his own gallery away from the rest of my and
my friends stuff (mostly so that it's family safe :P). This proves to be a
pita every time I do a portupgrade. Unfortunately, I can't think of any
solution to this issue, since it's a fundamental assumption of /usr/ports
and the package system that something is installed once.

In the case of bugzilla, it's no biggie if it won't accept a
 --prefix /usr/local/www/data.bugzilla
or the like. However, the issues with ./checksetup.pl arn't going to go
away. It would be nice if the port patched this script so that it generated
the right owner and group, and ignores the owner it is run as. This is
because, /usr/ports/www/apache* set up user 'www' with nologin, which is
quite a good thing to do. I dislike having to change group and user
ownership every time I need to run checksetup.pl. And while I'm a relatively
novice user, true novices might be quite confused as to what the problem is.

Look, I don't want to bitch pointlessly. But at the same time, I don't know
make well enough at this point to do a checkout and make the changes I feel
are sane. So I just wanted to pass along my thoughts. That being done, I
don't want to inflict them on you. Despite the slight bumps, it's nice to
have bugzilla in /usr/ports instead of my tarball archives, and it is nice
to skip have the install related to mysql and perl bits.

jason