Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:52:21 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Ralph Dratman" <ralph@maxsoft.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ata1-master: <MATSHITA cr-581/1c05> CDROM device - NO DRIVER!

> >Are you sure that you installed your custom kernel?
>
> Yes, the new kernel is announcing its name ("FREEBIE" as in Lehey's
> book) at boot time.
>
> >The standard ATA framework will detect any ATA device, but the 'NO
DRIVER'
> >message is telling you that your kernel doesn't have support for that
> >device - which is why I'm wondering if you haven't installed your custom
> >kernel.
>
> Unless there's something I don't understand, it is installed. I do
> know I'm now booting much faster because there's less scanning for
> nonexistent devices that I removed from the configuration file.

I just scanned through some CR-58x specs on a Panasonic web site, and they
claim that the 581 is a standard ATAPI device.  If this is the case, then
you don't need 'device matcd', but rather, 'device atapicd'.  (The matcd
driver is for the older 50x through 56x drives which used a proprietary
interface, commonly found on sound blaster cards.)

--
Matt Emmerton