Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:46:18 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Tom Kyle <tom@eos.umsl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scratchy SB PCI 128

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 05:40:41PM +0000, Tom Kyle wrote:
> Whoops - should have checked this before posting, but I'm still perplexed:
>
> Apparently this happens when the load avg goes above 1.0.  I dropped out of X,
> killed most everything off (including SETI), and was able to play some files
> just fine.  After some checking, it seems to be dependent on the load avg.  Ie,
> when the average goes about 1.00, the audio becomes distorted.  Funky.
>
> Still, what is causing this?  I've never experienced this with Linux or OpenBSD,
> but then again I'd previously stuck to SB64 and SB16PnP's.

It's pretty weird... I'm hearing the scratchy sound as well on a PCI128
(es1370). It has always been on that machine, starting from 3.2 and it still
does in 4.1.1. In Windows, sound is perfect, so hardware should be OK. On
other machines, I have another es1370 that has worked perfectly since 3.1
up to 4.1.
I noted that the scratching gets worse when there is a lot of disk activity
(that was in 3.2). Also, I changed irq for the card (by reserving the irq
in the BIOS for ISA, so it's forced to use another one) and it has the
same scratch.
I don't really know where to search... :-(. The system having trouble is
SCSI only, while the other systems have also IDE or are IDE only. Don't
know if that could be a clue.
I think this 'scratch problem' has come up several times, but I never saw
a solution.

Karel.