Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:46:06 +1000
From:      Benjamin Gardiner <ben_bsd@iaa.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do i?

Hi there, Now I too am new to this, but, I think I can point you in the right
direction. ( If I am wrong tell me please )
From what I have learnt in the last few weeks, of using FreeBSD at work, what
when you first install FreeBSD you are given a generic kernel (much like with
redhat does with linux) what you will need to do make sure that you have the
kernel source installed, ( if not /stand/sysinstall and then post instalation
configuration, and then install packages (i think) and select kernel source)
then here comes the tricky part, you have to edit (again I may be totaly way
off here) the GENERIC kernel config file or the LINT file, though the LINT file
suggests that you only use what is in the LINT file to put into the GENERIC
file, in the LINT file there are options for SMP (multiple proccessors) and
once  you have configured this file to the configuration ( I'm getting
longwinded here arn't I ) which matches your hard ware, you the recompile the
kernel.

On this note, are there any nice little tools to help edit these files, or is
vi emacs (insert editor here) the best way to go? I have been using (and still
use ) linux for a while and have allways used menuconfig or xconfig for the
purpose of configuring my kernels (under linux that is )

Benjamin

one note, If I have gone off track here plese, someon correct me,
as I don't want to give out misleading/confusing info. ta