Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:03:30 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        William Olson <wolson@gmail.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: sysutils/daemontools

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:39:45AM -0400, William Olson wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am having issues installing daemontools from the ports system. Please s=
ee
> below:
>=20
> whateva# pwd
> /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools
> whateva# make install clean
> =3D=3D=3D>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> =3D=3D=3D>  Found saved configuration for daemontools-0.76_12
> =3D> daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
> /usr/ports/distfiles/.
> =3D> Attempting to fetch from http://smarden.org/pape/djb/manpages/.
> fetch:
> http://smarden.org/pape/djb/manpages/daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz:
> Operation timed
> out

Hmm, looks like there's some sort of problem with Gerritt Pape's site
where the port tries to fetch the manual pages from.  Right now, you
can fetch the daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz from my FreeBSD site -
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/ports/sysutils/daemontools/daemontools-0.76=
-man-20010714.tar.gz
I've placed the file in the publicly mirrorred directory, so it will
appear on other mirrors, too; once it does, I'll add this local distribution
site to the port, too.

> =3D> Attempting to fetch from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
> fetch:
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/daemontools-0.76-man-20=
010714.tar.gz:
> File
> unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

Yep, as explained below, the port has been marked RESTRICTED for ages
and I've not changed that since December; thus, the package building
cluster does not try to build it, and the distribution files have not
appeared on the FreeBSD FTP site.  This will change soon.

> =3D> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> =3D> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
> *** Error code 1
>=20
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools.
> *** Error code 1
>=20
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools.
> whateva#
>=20
> I took a look at freshports this morning and saw this:
>=20
> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=3Ddaemontools&search=3Dgo&num=
=3D10&stype=3Dname&method=3Dmatch&deleted=3Dexcludedeleted&start=3D1&casese=
nsitivity=3Dcaseinsensitive
>=20
> It looks like it's now restricted? Please let me know.

It's not restricted "now"; the port has had the RESTRICTED line in
its Makefile ever since version 1.1 (well, okay, it was NO_PACKAGE then)
about nine years ago :)  It's quite another question that I haven't
removed it after Prof. Bernstein put all his software in the public
domain in December 2007; I'll do so soon, right after the files I've
placed in my FreeBSD home directory are mirrorred onto the FTP sites.

Thanks for the heads-up!

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg--