Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:46:40 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        n dhert <ndhert@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nr or inodes in use/max

--------------enig8DE9540A072540F93CFBEA99

n dhert wrote:
> How can I see, in a running FreeBSD7.2 for each filsystem how many inod=
es
> are in use and what is the maximum?

df -i

> How can one raise the max number if inodes?

You'ld have to backup your data and then blow away the filesystem on that=

partition and recreate it using different parameters to newfs(8).=20

However, it would be exceedingly unlikely for that to be necessary: you'l=
have to have a very large number of exceedingly small files to run out of=

inodes before filling up your disk.

=46rom newfs(8):

     -i bytes
             Specify the density of inodes in the file system.  The defau=
lt is
             to create an inode for every (4 * frag-size) bytes of data s=
pace.
             If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used;=
             create more inodes a smaller number should be given.  One in=
ode
             is required for each distinct file, so this value effectivel=
             specifies the average file size on the file system.

Given that the default frag-size is 2048 bytes, this implies that the sys=
tem
will not run out of inodes before filling the partition unless the averag=
e file
size is less than 8KiB. That would be pretty unusual.

	Cheers,

	Matthew =20

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK