Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:07:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>, Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: behaviour of open(foo,O_CREAT) in regards to setting 'group'

At 4:24 PM +0100 4/12/99, Dom Mitchell wrote:
>On 12 April 1999, Brian Dean proclaimed:
>> For example, if the group of /tmp is wheel, the FreeBSD behaviour
>> causes files created there to have the group of wheel, and when the
>> files are moved to another (non-local) file system (using 'mv'), an
>> error is generated indicating that the operation is not permitted if
>> the user is not a member of 'wheel'.  The error is harmless in this
>> case (because the group of the file should not have been wheel in the
>> first place because the user was not a member of wheel), but it is
>> annoying.
>
> Maybe the behaviour should not apply to directories with a sticky bit?
> I'm not sure that there is much room for change around this whole
> subject area, though.  It's been pretty much this way for some 15 years
> or more.  Teach your users to use "cp" instead of "mv"?

It seems to me that the file should not be created as group 'wheel'
if the user is not in that group...  (that then begs the question of
what it *should* be set to, but in any case it does seem odd to me
that a user can create a file to have a group that they could not
specify on a 'chgrp' command)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute