Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 98 10:57:22 MET
From:      Flemming Jacobsen <fj@login.dknet.dk>
To:        iang@digs.iafrica.com (Ian Freislich)
Cc:        Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de, rhh@ct.picker.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on detect fix for Hauppauge FI1236 MK2 Tuner Cards

Ian Freislich wrote:
> > I got it up and running now, too, but I desperately cannot get any
> > sound out of it. :( But I have a MSP 3400C stereo on the card and the
> > freebsd-driver detects it correctly as this type, but still no sound
> > out of it. :((( Did you have similar problems and solved them already?

Yes. The values in the array controlling the MUX doesn't work for
all cards. To get sound from my card I had to switch the values
for selecting tuner and mute.
I think we need to add a separate MUX array for each cardtype (at least
for the Hauppauge ones). No, I don't mind doing it, if I get some data to
work with.

> I have a similar problem. The problem is that here is no code to
> initialise the MSP340x chip, or the code isn't being run. This chip
> does FM and NICAM stereo decoding and spacial sound processing and
> mixing digitally (have a look at the data sheet). Because all the
> audio from the tuner is routed through this chip, not having it
> initialised correctly presents quite a problem if you're interested
> in hearing anything.

My card has this stereo chip too (it's actually a MSP3410D), and I've
never had any problems. But maybe my version has better power-on
defaults ?

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
> Last week I sent a message to Hauppauge asking if they could send me the
> algorithm to their tuner detection used in Windows, but got no answer.  :(

I once talked to a nice freindly technician at H. (he even faxed me a
couple of pages from a datasheet, that I couldn't get from Philips).
I asked him if he could send me any documantation on the format of their
eeprom. He replied that the "powers that be" in H. had decided that the
format of the eeprom was proprietary(sp?). The reason was supposed to be
that they'd like to be able to change the format. He hinted that the
Linux people had started a decoding project.

	Hyg'
	Flemming

--
Flemming Jacobsen            It'll probably say something like "Does not
                             compute" or "Inoperative parameters". That's