Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:43:24 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.4 UDMA ICRC error

On Sunday 03 March 2002 09:39 am, Warren Block wrote:
> While many people blame these UDMA ICRC errors on the drive or
> cable, there's a known bug in several of the VIA motherboard
> chipsets that produces this problem, particularly the 686B South
> Bridge.  A patch for the 686B didn't quite make it into 4.5; I
> think it's supposed to be in 4.5-Stable in a week or so.  In the
> meantime, there are only a few ways to go: retrograde (as you did),
> set the system to use PIO only (sysctl hw.atamodes=pio), or switch
> to a standalone IDE controller like those from Promise.
>
> Hope this helps--good luck!

   Do you -- does anyone, here -- know if that patch will also work
for the A586B of if a patch for that chipset is in the pipeline?
Just out of curiosity, why does 4.4 complain -- is it using different
I/O calls, or trying to drive the drives harder than 3.2, or... ?
   Thanks for the explanation, Warren -- I guess I'll just wait
awhile to upgrade, then.  (Be it sw or hw...)

--
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime
rates in the country."  -- Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC