Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:18:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

> What you say is logically impossible.  ANY system will get contaminated
> with the ports building.  To take this argument to its logical conclusion,

If you'll read my posting again, you'll plainly see that I never once
mentioned contamination resulting from the building of ports, I was
simply discussing the OPERATING SYSTEM'S evolution on your system.
A 2.2-3.0 upgraded system is not the best test vehicle for determining
whether or not a given -current port works and if you want to do
this kind of verification, you should start with a clean 3.0 system.

Now if you're talking about the divergent problem of PORTS POLLUTION
then I can simply say that I don't believe that there's ever been a
serious effort to make sure that you absolutely cannot hose yourself
by installing conflicting ports or packages.  Some truly obvious
clashes like the warring TCL or Tk ports have been dealt with, but I
don't think that this necessarily extends across all 1300 ports.

For that kind of conflict resolution, there's only one useful thing
that you can post and that's the *specific* ports which are colliding
with one another.  Simply posting the failure output from a single
port only shifts the majority of the burden onto someone else. :-)

					Jordan