Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:34:21 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
Cc:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postfix: No buffer space available

In message <4.3.0.20010220192222.04fd4100@pop.free.fr>, usebsd@free.fr writes:
>You might want to try setting
>         net.inet.tcp.sendspace
>         net.inet.tcp.recvspace
>to larger values. I have these in my /etc/sysctl.conf.

These control the default socket buffer size.  Assuming postfix
is not setting the appropriate socket options, when they are increased
space will run out with even fewer connections.  If they are decreased
such that they are less than the bandwidth delay product, you will have
TCP/IP performance problems.

The original poster needs to play with some of the kern.ipc values
instead, most notably kern.ipc.maxsockbuf.