Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:40:10 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_data size issues

At 12:34 PM -0700 9/1/04, Brooks Davis wrote:

>Julian raises a valid point that this can cause problems for updates
>over the network.  At this point we disagree on the severity of the
>problem.
>
>He says old binaries must work with new kernels.  I argue that
>network updates are an edge case, a critically important one, but
>an edge case non-the-less.

IMO it is a more significant than just an edge-case, particularly
since it includes nfs-mounted installs.  But that's just MO.

>Because it is an edge case, I believe it would be acceptable to
>require an extra step in the upgrade process.  That step is simply
>installing a new ifconfig binary.

My immediate reaction is that we could probably do something like
this, although we would have to think a bit about the best way to
get it done.  We could certainly install the fix from Peter in the
4.10-stable and 4.10-errata branches, for instance.  It shouldn't
hurt anything to have that fix installed ASA-SufficientlyTested.

>I would appreciate other opinions on this issue as we need to either
>back out both of these changes or begin MFCing the ifconfig changes.

Perhaps we could do something like have the update process require
an "ifconfig5" (or some other unique name), and use that if it
exists.  Not sure that is a great idea, but it gives us an easy
way to make sure the system has the right binary.  'installkernel'
could just stop if the needed binary is not on the destination
system.

Some of the tricks I used in the 64-bTT upgrade on sparc64 might
also be of interest, although I have to run right now so I can't
come up with the specifics at the moment.