Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 04:56:49 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de (Stefan Eggers)
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accton on a append-only file ?

#define quoting(Stefan Eggers)
// > I've created the /var/account/acct file with sappend,sunlink flags,
// > but accton return EPERM.  If I run accton before setting those flags,
//
// >   This seems to be a bug, but I still have much to learn from VFS
//
// To me, too.  It is because kern_acct.c in 2.2-stable opens the file
// for writing, not for appending.  There is the problem:
//
//         /*
//          * If accounting is to be started to a file, open that file for
//          * writing and make sure it's a 'normal'.
//          */
//         if (uap->path != NULL) {
//                 NDINIT(&nd, LOOKUP, NOFOLLOW, UIO_USERSPACE, uap->path, p);
//                 error = vn_open(&nd, FWRITE, 0);
//                 if (error)
//                         return (error);
//
//
// Unless there is already a PR for this (check the PR database on the
// FreeBSD web pages) I'd suggest sending in a new one.

I've just sent it.  It's kern/7169.

// > before searching for the culprit myself.  Does it deserve a send-pr,
// > even without patches ?
//
// I think it's as easy as adding FAPPEND to the mode.  The only problem
// is making sure that it has no unexpected side effects.  If you like
// quote this email in the PR to point at a possible way to fix it.

This worked for me at home.  But since file writing at kernel level
is somewhat tricky, I'd be a lot more happy if some FS expert verified
it before commiting.

If it's safe, please don't forget -stable, folks.  :)

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro