Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:28:24 -0800
From:      ftrk <ftrk@uaf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   which *BSD to choose?

Dear all,
I haven't used *BSD at all, but been using UNIX(Solaris) and LINUX for awhile.
However I have recently been reading lot about the *BSD's and even downloaded
Kevin Lai's paper from USENIX about the comparison of SOLARIS, LINUX and
FreeBSD. I would like to play with it on my laptop which is kinda old, but I
was wondering about drivers for display chipsets etc:
Intel PIII Processor
ATi Rage 128 display chipset(14" SXGA display)
Xircom 10/100 cardbus PCMCIA card
Internal Lucent Gold v50 modem( I am sure this wouldn't be supported:( )

I would definitely like to use and support FreeBSD. However I am unable to
make up my mind as to which one will suit me and an assessment of the three
flavours. Would you have any pointers as to where I can find some info? I am
currently running a dualboot, with winme(only because the internal modem is
not supported:(and I can't afford a external modem card right now ) and
linux(redhat 7 which I don't wanna use anymore since I have found things which
I don't like in it anymore). I am also interested in knowing the packages,
like compilers(like gcc, g77, perl) etc. Also does this come with any crypto
software? Pardon my ignorance, I tried to look around, but couldn't find info
on compilers etc..
Any help/pointers/advice is appreciated,
TIA
Raj Kombiyil