Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:59:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@clari.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modems and FreeBSD

Easy, several of us here are using it for a CM firewall now. Just put two
NICs in and connect one to the CM and the other to a hub so you can NATd
and such. As one guy puts it: "Let's go see what's interesting on Cable
tonight". tcpdump and connect logs will quickly demo why you want some
kind of firewall.

Most of the cable subnets use DHCP, but rarely change addresses so you can
either use the DHCP w/FBSD3.3-R or get the DHCP port or just fix the
address in /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf, depending on your time. Subnet
masks have either been 256 addresses or 1024 addresses per subnet here.

If you use ipfw to block 'ping's, you will see many fewer attacks.

Works great with ADSL as well - Jy@