Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 12:55:14 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Benedikt Schmidt <ry102@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Cc:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/mutt-devel Makefile

--==_Exmh_674696998P

> If you set COLORFGBG=color the "default" color setting works like in the
> ncurses Version, COLORTERM is only needed to force colors if your terminal
> has no color support according to the termcap entry (e.g. TERM=xterm).

Well, that's all broken in FreeBSD anyway. According to the author of the
XFree86 xterm.

AFAIK (haven't updated in a while) the xterm we ship via XFree86 has been a
color terminal for years now. The Way It Used To Be (TM) worked great for me,
and also worked fine with mono Xterms displayed from older *nix systems (e.g.
Slowaris and the like).

However, the color customizations discussed in the XTerm web page:

	http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html#my_xdefaults

haven't worked for some time in FreeBSD, for me anyway. (They used to, but
stopped after a commit sometime in 2001, IIRC).

I run so few color-based text apps that it's not worth the hassle to sort it
out (although it is somewhat irritating that we appear to be Doing It Wrong,
after it used to work). Feh. I believe I've seen at least one PR on the
subject, although I can't find it now.

Ahh. He's updated his web page since I last read it to explicitly say that
FreeBSD is doing this incorrectly, and why:

	http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_terminfo

I can't help wondering if this is what is biting you guys?

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_674696998P

--==_Exmh_674696998P--