Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:54:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

chip wrote:
> > The problem is with the repartitioning of the disk for
> > the installation.  The VMWare approach has this same
> > problem, with getting to the point where you can even
> > contemplate the install.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean in the last sentence. When I set up vmware on the
> linux box to run win2k I didn't have to do anything with any partition, just
> had to give it some disk space, any contiguous disk space. I haven't tried it
> yet on my fbsd boxes at home because they don't have enough computing power
> to handle it, but my guess is it will be the same procedure.

We were talking about FreeBSD in the case of a Windows XP
box with XP preinstalled, and perhaps some user data on
the XP FS that makes system recovery CDROMs a bad idea in
most cases, until someone works out the writing NTFS
problem sufficiently from DR-DOS or other bootable recovery
OSs that can boot from a CDROM.

While you're technically right, since the 3.0 version can
support Windows XP as a host OS, VMWare on Windows XP to
run FreeBSD costs you $300.

So it's _a_ solution, but it's certainly not the _cheapest_
one, and since we are talking about someone who doesn't
want to drop $300 on the cheapest el-cheapo machine at Fry's
(if they even have a Fry's or Fry's-alike in their area at
all)...

-- Terry