Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:05:31 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IA-64 cross-compiler

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 10:13:19PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> I wonder what compiler you're using. Is it the latest development
> version in the source tree?

That compiler is broken.

> I think it's a good idea to have easy access to an IA-64 toolschain,
> whether it's the one in the source tree or a port. Although I prefer the
> source tree.

Unfortunately no one doing IA-64 development is using publically availble
toolchain sources.  The Linux efforts are still using the Cygnus compiler
from Feb.  Soon it is hoped they will move to a newer Cygnus code base
from July + patches.  But that has yet to happen.

> It would be nice for example if we could select the compiler (either
> /usr/src/contrib/gcc.295 or /usr/src/contrib/gcc)

gcc.295 is to go away as soon as I can get a 2.96 snapshot working on
both x86 and Alpha.  You would then use our normal way for cross
development.  (but it will probably not be that clean)

> David: does the development compiler in the source tree serve this
> purpose as well, or doesn't it track development closely enough to have
> all the very latest fixes in it?

The various IA-64 fixes are not publically available and the IA-64
toolchain used is the internal Cygnus code base.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)