Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:40:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why to use seperate partitions

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 08:57:19AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Thursday,  3 February 2000 at 17:50:57 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>
>>     hades% su -
>>     hades# du -sk /var
>>     3264    /var
>>     hades# cd /
>>     hades# du -sk bin boot dev dist etc mnt modules root sbin stand
>>     [snip]
>
>You could do this a lot more easily with 'du -sxk /'.

I have to admit that I'm still learning all the options.  Seems that 10
months of FreeBSD'ing have been nice, but I've still much to learn :)

>> This means that what I'm actually *using* of the 100 Mb / partition I
>> have is around 28-29 Mb so far, give or take a Mb or two.  My /var
>> partition is at 40 Mb now, but I think it's pretty empty with only 4 Mb
>> on it.  Oh, of course I rotate my logs on a weekly base, but even if I
>> raise the period to a month or so, I think it's going to be fine.
>
> This is a good idea of what I said earlier: it's easy to calculate the
> root file system and very difficult to calculate the size of ftp.
> Your root file system is, within a MB or so, the same size as mine.
> Your /var file system is about 0.25% of the size of mine.  How can
> anybody else guess how big his is going to be?

I'm only using /var for logging and, uhm, for /var/db stuff.  This can
not get too big.  The largest thing in /var is /var/qmail where the mail
queue is kept, but since I'm the only person using this workstation this
can't grow to large.  On a machine where a lot of mail passes in and
out, I would expect this to grow a bit.

My guess is that the first installation will have the inherent nature of
a test, and that a few things shall have to change after the dust
settles.  At least my first installation was like that.  "Oh, let's see
what this FreeBSD thing is.  It's Unix, I'll probably like it, after
a while."  Then I saw at the handbook and hier(7) what went and where,
and readjusted my partitions for the second installation.

The problem is that to see what size of each partition wil tend to have,
you have to install the system first.  The size that the handbook
recommends is a good general guess, but an installation and a few days
or even weeks of use will always be a good way of figuring it out.  At
least, this has worked for me, most of the time.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr