Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:56:04 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

Brad Knowles wrote:

>     Anyway, here's a sample error that I get now that I've tried to
> recreate it again:
>
> >vinum -> ld -v
> >Drive drive1:   Device /dev/da1c
> >                Created on  at Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970
> >                Config last updated Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970
> >                Size:                0 bytes (0 MB)
> >                Used:                0 bytes (0 MB)
> >                Available:           0 bytes (0 MB)
> >                State: down
> >                Last error: Invalid argument
>
>     All devices /dev/da1c through /dev/da9c exist (and so far as I know
> are valid), and I can pull disklabels off these devices (although I seem
> to be unable to write disklabels, so I can't add a partition other than
> "c" that I could use with vinum).

"c" is a bad partition to use, it's the 'compatability' partition... You
should try to avoid it with 3.0 etc. I'm concerned you can't disklabel your
drives any other way... You should be refering to them as "/dev/da1s1e" or
"/dev/da1s1a" etc. (notice the 's1' denoting slice #1).

>     Any hints?  Maybe the problem is with being unable to disklabel the
> drives?  Perhaps someone could give me some pointers on how I might be
> able to successfully force that to happen?

What happens if you run /sysinstall/stand, and try to label/partition them
that way? (i.e. allocate the whole disk (dangerously dedicated) to FreeBSD,
then slap say a 1Gb partition on it - make sure the system can newfs it etc. -
then try running disklabel on the drive?)

>     Finally, while we're at it, I don't suppose anyone has any experience
> with running a softupdates filesystem on top of a vinum
> striped/concatenated volume, do you?  Am I dreaming in hoping that I'll
> be able to get these two working together?

I'm not currently running Vinum at the moment, but I have had it running
briefly with softupdates... I've also run CCD with softupdates, AFAIK it
shouldn't be a problem...

Regards,

Karl

ps. please don't crosspost your questions :-)