Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:28:08 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>, Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

Doug wrote:

>         All that being said, I realize fully that no one on this list
> cares. FreeBSD is a hobby OS, by and for the developers. That's been
> stated many times on the list recently. However, there is someone who's
> trying to make some $$ of FreeBSD, namely walnut creek, so I occasionaly
> point out that there are some people in the "freebsd community" who would
> like to have some promotional material that doesn't have "little devils"
> on it. Maybe someday they will listen, maybe not. But it makes ME feel
> better to say it.

Maybe, maybe not. If you take Walnut Creek seriously then also recognize
the fact that they display the daemon mascotte wherever they can even though
there is no need for them to do so.

It also assumes that WC is marketing it aggressively and solely for
profit. Maybe they have other reasons? Like spreading the word on
FreeBSD, helping the developers thereby making sure the product they
themselves use gets maintained, doing a bit of advocacy, whatever.

Also, would it be right to cater to the uptight community? I mean, what's
next? Becoming NT compatible? Embracing OLE? Ditching Perl, Guile, etc.
for Visual BASIC/X? These are all very sound marketing ploys. Way more
effective than changing a cute little mascotte!

Still, if it makes you feel better. Go ahead, have a ball <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.