Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:54:11 -0500
From:      "James E. Quick" <jq@quick.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   I need help with IPSEC

I am in desperate need of help with IPSEC.
I have a pair of firewalls configured with:
IPSEC
IPSEC_ESP
IPSEC_DEBUG

I started with an attempt using raccoon, then backed off
to using manually added entries via skey.
I do not see anything in racoon output that looks like an
error.

The remote end of the gateway is a box running 4.1.1-STABLE.
It has a single public IP address via a cable modem with
172.16.1.x addresses behind it.
My endpoint is running 4.2-BETA and has an ISP provided /30
subnet externally, with my publicly routable Class C behind.

I note that when I try to reach any 172.16.1 address
with either form of IPSEC configured I get 'No route to host'
errors.  This suggests that IPSEC is not encapsulating anything.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has set up esp
style tunnels between either 2 FreeBSDs or between FreeBSD and
anything else.

There must be something trivial that I am overlooking, because
I am not seeing anything that looks like an error.

We are both running ipfilt on our ends.
The remote site is also running simple ipnat configuration.
---
  ___ ___ | James E. Quick
   / /  / | Quick & Associates              NeXTMail O.K.
\_/ (_\/  | If only the HMO would cover my allergy to gravity.
       )  |