Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:48:22 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two gnome-screensaver questions

1. I have two older systems (FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.1, both running
Gnome 2.16), with a fully up-to-date set of Gnome ports, on
which gnome-screensaver doesn't launch. I can go to the
Properties screen and select a bunch of themes, all of which
work in the Properties screen or in Preview, but don't
actually work in the wild--it won't activate the screensaver
or lock the screen after the designated time, and choosing
"lock" or "activate screensaver" has no effect. I can't figure
out the command-line version of this tool to see if there's an
error message there, and the Help documents didn't suggest
anything. Any ideas for how to analyze this?

2. On a new install (Gnome 2.16 on FreeBSD 6.2), there seem to
be a number of themes that don't work, which not only display
a black screen, but prevent another theme from starting (if
"Random" is selected). (If I move the mouse at all, even
without logging in from a lock (i.e. just moving the mouse and
not entering a password when requested), it will move to a new
theme that might work.) This happened with the other installs
too, and I dealt with it by going through and testing every
one, deleting the ones that failed, but this was really
tedious.  Is there another way to handle this? Should the
non-rotating black screen be regarded as a bug (i.e. even if
it's proper for a failed theme to be failed for whatever the
"random" period is (and for that matter, should this be (or is
it) customizable?), shouldn't it progress to another theme
thereafter)?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower