Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:17:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cursing the sky (was: Commerical applications ...)

Howdy Jamie,

Did you give the BSD cd to you wife and she created the buttons and
install all the software?? NO. Which is my point. If you could give your
wife the CD and with a simple book at her side SHE could install it and
then use with a little reading it would be more widely used. As it is now
YOU had to set it up (bet you didn't start using Unix yesterday). This is
what I've been talking about.

With Windoze (3.0, 3.1) when you install a program it puts icons on your
desktop and you double click. With Unix , you not only have to guess what
the programs executiable is really named you have to have a full working
knowledge of were in the setup file for your window manager to put it, how
to create the button, what size screen to make it , how to specify its
geometry (Netscape uses a '.' Mosaic a *, xterm uses characters, Mosaic
uses pixals....) yadda, yadda, yadda.

This is my point!

What you say below is what is needed to popularize BSD etc, not with the
rocket jockeys but with the average joe in the street. An installation
routine that will install the basics and be setup to run. Craftwork linux
uses 2 questions to configure X, and neither is more complicated than is
asked by Windoze (3.1 or 3.0) - shock-suprise it actually works.