Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:42:54 -0800
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ok guru's, this one ought to be easy, crontab -e

one command line to modify crontab given by the instructions in a port says
to use

crontab -e

to edit crontab.

When I do this, a file is created /emp/crontab.PsZmn11524

it's a blank file and when i edit and exit, and type crontab -e again,
there's the same file i just edited, however, it doesn't appear to be
combined with the real /etc/crontab

Could someone please tell me why the instructions don't just say to edit
/etc/crontab by hand, and what does this crontab -e command do?

TIA

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services Inc.