Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice sought on new ioctl for frame grabber.

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> Looking at the IETF (nice) and INFOCOM (ugly) (*) video multicast
> these days, I was thinking of what could be a nice feature for the
:

I guess you would want to modify both the driver and vic
in order to achieve lower CPU usage and optimize bandwidth
effectiveness.  I assume that you are trying to send a
sequence of stills most efficiently.  You can sort of do
that now, although not as explicitly and efficiently as
I assume that you would like.

:

> Audio had similar problems in that they were sending short (probably
> 20ms) frames instead of the more effective DVI4 (80ms frames, 32KB/s) used
> for IETF transmissions.

Agreed.  Presentations/lectures work fine using /4,
and they use less bandwidth.  DVI/4 is probably the
best compromise.  I'm not sure why people seem to be
reluctant to use /4 instead of /2, and the lower
"quality" of DVI is offset by the lower bandwidth,
permitting *higher* quality over ISDN.  The combined
difference (pcm2 -> dvi4) is 71Kb/s -> 36Kb/s.

I suspect one of INFOCOM's problems was that INFOCOM was using
ICAST Broadcaster V2.2 on either W95 or NT.  In particular,
when someone accidentally started to send significant
back-traffic (another video), the audio quality declined
dramatically, so the incoming traffic seemed to cause
a problem.

I don't know if the problem is the ICAST product,
W95 or NT (I don't know which they used), or, if
the PC they used wasn't fast enough.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov