Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:31:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Erik Mattsson <erik.mattsson@imbridge.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java, FreeBSD and JNI

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:26:37AM +0200, Erik Mattsson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:41:37AM +0200, Erik Mattsson wrote:
> > > Im developing servlets that uses JNI for some large image handling, converting
> > > to other formats etc. Now I wonder if there are any problems that I should know
> > > about running JNI applications under the freebsd-jdk1.3.1 port?
> >
> > Don't assume a particular threading subsystem.  For example, if your JNI
> > code uses pthreads, don't assume it will just play nice with the default
> > "green threads".
>
> What do you mean, do you mean that using threads in the JNI code
> is not advisable?

I mean that the using FreeBSD pthreads won't "just work" with "green
threads".  It will with "native threads".

> What is the difference between the native and green threads ?

Native threads use the systems own native threading subsystem (pthreads
on FreeBSD) while green threads are threads which are implemented
internally to the JDK using context switching.

Does your JNI stuff actually use pthreads?  If not then this is all moot.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org