Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 03:05:32 -0500
From:      James Higgins <jamesh@bnoc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panasonic CR-563 CD-ROM Drives.

Ok,

I am new to Free-BSD but have set up RedHat and Slackware linux systems
(on this same machine I might add) in the past.

I have a Panasonic CR-563 cdrom that attaches through a proprietary
Soundblaster interface.  I cannot seem to detect it at boot time.

When installing at the "boot:  " prompt I specify -c  then enter visual
mode. Disable all hardware I know that is not present in my machine,
SCSI cards and Ethernet cards (it is a home machine) and press enter on
the Matsushita/Panasonic CD-Rom device.

I change the I/O address to 0x630. Windows 95 shows the device at 0x630
and linux also detects the drive at 0x630.  Kernel parameter in linux is
"sbpcd=0x630,LaserMate" if that means anything to anyone.  Then I save
the userconfig parameters and continue booting.

The drive light flashes like the drive is read, but when I select it as
my installation media I get the now infamous "No CDROM devices found....
blah blah blah" error.  I can switch to virtual console 2 and see the
line: "DEBUG:  Try at matcdc0 retruns errno 2".

These are the only error messages I seem to get.  I know it is not a
hardware problem because the drive works perfectly in Windows.  Can
someone please help me.

James Higgins