Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:45:14 -0800
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 01:46:50PM -0600, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Unix its a trademark, and the owner righ now I think its Santa Cruz
> Operation, and all the systems that wants to be called unix, have to pay for
> the use of the name.
>
> Greetings...
> Ales

I read in a History of UNIX doc somewhere (there are MANY of those),
that Novell purchased the UNIX trademark from USL in 1993, and later
gave the rights to the trademark to the X/Open initiative.

Just for kicks, I checked the X/Open website (www.opengroup.org), and
sure enough:

	"X/Open is also responsible for the management of the UNIX
trade mark on behalf of the industry. X/Open is a registered trade
mark, and the "X" device is a trade mark of X/Open Company, Ltd. UNIX
is a registered trade mark in the United States and other countries,
licensed exclusively through X/Open Company, Ltd."

-Brent