Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3419: __attribute__((__unused__)) doesn't work

The following reply was made to PR kern/3419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To: j.loverso@opengroup.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:28:28 +0200

 As j.loverso@opengroup.org wrote:

 > However,I tried to compile Berk DB 2.0.  It has code like this:
 > (starting at line 340)
 >
 >         typedef struct _hoffpage {
 >                 u_int8_t  type;         /*    00: Page type and delete flag. */
 >                 u_int8_t  __unused[3];  /* 01-03: Padding, unused. */

 This is broken code.  Names starting with an underscore are reserved
 for the implementation.  No userland program (and Berkeley DB is
 userland in this sense) has the right to use them.

 > It appears that  __attribute__((__unused__)) doesn't work.

 It does.  It's working in a totally different way than what you would
 expect, like:

 __unused void
 somefunc(void)
 {
 	/* this is unused */
 }

 > I'm not sure which catagory this bug is in.

 Ask the people at Berkeley. :-)

 --
 cheers, J"org