Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:53:25 -0500
From:      "Denny Jodeit" <denny@jodeit.com>
To:        "David Herman" <ob1@yifan.net>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm kinda happy (wasI bought your system and am not so happy!)

> For example - I'm still searching the documentation for information which
> will help me to get my internal ISA modem (hardware based "NOT" win modem)
> working.
> So far the best I've found is "recompile your kernel". I find it hard to
> believe that I need to recompile my kernel as the first thing I do after
> installing the OS.
>
> dh

The beauty is, you CAN recompile the kernel. And, I know it looks like a
daunting task at this stage, but it really isn't. Important part is backing
up the original kernel should something go awry.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I was kinda flamed for my post to the
original thread, for my attitude, but....I can guarantee that 98% of all
successful installations of FreeBSD were preceded by a measure of study and
research. FreeBSD, by nature, is NOT an off-the-shelf OS, nor was it ever
intended to be.

Personally, I hope FreeBSD never hits the mainstream. Is it just me, or does
RedHat look more and more like Microsoft and Windows everyday ?
.........get my drift ?