Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:24:15 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        kek971@mail.usask.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blocking ports??

kek971@mail.usask.ca wrote:

> How can i block some services running on my freebsd box?
> In linux, ntsysv or linuxconf can be used in this case.
> but i don't know how to strip of some of services from my system...
> (especially, after running nmap or netstat, then i could see some useless ports are open.... )

That's a can of worms you've opened there.
Here are a few examples:
1. If it's the syslog port, you can close it by running syslogd with
-ss, other daemons may have similar options.
2. If the port is running because of inetd, edit /etc/inetd.conf or
disable inetd altogether.
3. If a network daemon is starting, uninstall it or tell it not to start
(possibly by removing execute perms on the startup script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d)

-Bill