Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:56:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't see DLT4000

I just upgraded our tape drive from a DDS-2 DAT to a Quantum DLT4000 and
can't seem to get the system to see the DLT, no matter what.  If I switch
back to the DDS2 and reboot, mt sees it fine.  A rundown:

Both are External SCSI drives set to SCSI ID 4

used the same terminator and cable

I've rebooted several times

The SCSI host adapter is an on-board Adaptec AIC-7896 (Intel L440GX+)
using the second (B) SCSI bus.  When I have the DDS-2 drive hooked up, the
server's drive light functions normally (blinks when accessed), when I
hook up the DLT, it just stays on.

The only difference I can see is that the DLT is "differential" SCSI,
which, AFAIK, just allows it to work with a longer bus.  Is there
something that has to be done to the host adapter to accomodate
differential devices?

TIA,

up@3.am							    http://3.am