Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:48:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Lloyd Rennie <lloyd@vbc.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mylex AcceleRAID-170 32Mb - Help needed with errormsg

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Ripped the code for the driver for this card from the 5.x tree, and
> > recompiled/installed for 4.1.1-RELEASE.  All seemed to work like a dream.
> >
> > Two weeks or so later, and it's frozen.  Powercycling gives this message
> > before the boot freezes;
> >
> > Automatic boot in progress...
> > /dev/da0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> > /dev/da0s1a: clean, 99584 free (856 frags, 12341 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
> > mly0: got AM completion for illegal slot 12288 at 62
> > mly0: got AM completion for illegal slot 28672 at 63
> > mly0: got AM completion for illegal slot 49152 at 64
> >
> > (last 3 messages are in hi-white)
> >
> > And there it sits, no panic or reboot prompt.
> >
> > While I can find this error quite easily in the driver sources, I find no
> > explanation of what it means (I have no knowledge of how SCSI works, what
> > a 'slot' is in this context, etc.)
> >
> > Can someone shed a little light on this?
>
> This looks frighteningly like a new manifestation of a known quirk in the
> Mylex firmware (see mlxreg.h and the discussion on the size of the
> command ring).  I haven't had any feedback from Mylex on that quirk
> though.

:/

Couldn't find the discussion in mlxreg.h

> However, the fact that the card was running fine, but is now falling over
> as soon as you boot leads me to wonder if you aren't having hardware
> problems.  Is the card overheating?  Is the DIMM properly inserted?  Is
> the card properly seated?

Yup.  Tried different memory too - the error's still present but the
numbers are different (equally out-of-range though).  And it's not
overheating cos we can leave the thing off overnight and it happens first
boot in the morning.

Apologies for the reply delay - thought I'd sent this, but just found it
postponed :/

--
Lloyd Rennie                   VBCnet GB Ltd	             lloyd@vbc.net
tel +44 (0) 117 929 1316    http://www.vbc.net    fax +44 (0) 117 927 2015