Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:56:59 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbfs-1.3.0 released

	Hello,

	At first, I'm want to say 'thank you' for everybody who provided
me with feedback on my work. So, here is a records from the HISTORY file
for last two releases:

20.10.2000	1.3.0
    - Network IO engine significantly reworked. Now it uses kernel threads
      to implement 'smbiod' process which handles network traffic for each VC.
      Previous model were incapable to serve large number of mount points and
      didn't work well with intensive IO operations performed on a different
      files on the same mount point. Special care was taken on better
      usage of MP systems.
      Unfortunately, kernel threads aren't supported by FreeBSD 3.X and for
      now it is excluded from the list of supported systems.
    - Reduce overhead caused by using single hash table for each mount point.

26.09.2000	1.2.8 (never released)
    - More SMP related bugs are fixed.
    - Make smbfs compatible with the Linux emulator.
    - smbfs now known to work with IBM LanManager (special thanks to
      Eugen Averin)
    - Fix problem with files bigger than 2GB (reported by Lee McKenna)
    - Please note that smbfs may not work properly with FreeBSD 3.X.

	New version can be downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.butya.kz/pub/smbfs/smbfs.tar.gz

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/