Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:26:14 -0600
From:      Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> wrote:
>    All devices /dev/da1c through /dev/da9c exist (and so far as I know
>are valid), and I can pull disklabels off these devices (although I seem
>to be unable to write disklabels, so I can't add a partition other than
>"c" that I could use with vinum).

That sounds like a problem.  Trying to follow the instructions I did the
following:

  o disklabel -e /dev/da1c ; disklabel -e /dev/da2c  such that I now have:
  o disklabel -r /dev/da1c | tail -3
  #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
    c: 17767827        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1105*)
    e: 17767827        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1105*)
    disklabel -r /dev/da2c | tail -3
  #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
    c: 17767827        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1105*)
    e: 17767827        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1105*)

I then did a 'vinum create /etc/vinum.conf' with the following config file:

  # Available drives
  drive drive1 device /dev/da1e
  drive drive2 device /dev/da2e
  # Volume to hold /usr/local
  volume software
    plex org concat
      sd length 512m drive drive1
    plex org concat
      sd length 512m drive drive2
  # Volume to hold spool files
  volume spool
    plex org concat
      sd length 8163m drive drive1
    plex org concat
      sd length 8163m drive drive2

I no longer have the screen capture of the vinum create info, but it currently
looks like this for me:

  # vinum l
  Configuration summary

  Drives:         2 (4 configured)
  Volumes:        2 (4 configured)
  Plexes:         5 (8 configured)
  Subdisks:       5 (16 configured)

  D drive1                State: up       Device /dev/da1e
  D drive2                State: up       Device /dev/da2e

  V software              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        512 MB
  V spool                 State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       8163 MB

  P software.p0         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
  P software.p1         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
  P spool.p0            C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       8163 MB
  P spool.p1            C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       8163 MB

  S software.p0.s0        State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
  S software.p1.s0        State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
  S spool.p0.s0           State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       8163 MB
  S spool.p1.s0           State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       8163 MB

>    Any hints?  Maybe the problem is with being unable to disklabel the
>drives?  Perhaps someone could give me some pointers on how I might be
>able to successfully force that to happen?

The disklabel would be my first guess too, but I would definitely defer to
those more familiar.

>    Finally, while we're at it, I don't suppose anyone has any
>experience with running a softupdates filesystem on top of a vinum
>striped/concatenated volume, do you?  Am I dreaming in hoping that
>I'll be able to get these two working together?

Well, mine is obviously mirrored, but why not (I really just did this, so
the tunfs output is cut/paste):

# [ kill various daemons ]
# umount /var/spool
# tunefs -n enable /dev/vinum/spool
tunefs: soft updates set
# mount /var/spool
# [ restart various daemons :) ]

This is actually very good timing for me, I just finished some of my
testing of vinum a few days ago and was about to start a new thread
complimenting vinum.  So, I also wanted to take this opportunity to say
what a joy it is to use vinum.  It may still be classified as BETA
software, but what it does feels quite stable.  What definitely sold me
was when I unplugged one of the drives in my setup while the system was
live and it warned about it and just kept going.  Reboot to restore the
drive, and a simple 'vinum start $drive.p1.s0' amazed me with how well
done and easy to recover it is.

-philip