Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:09:54 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VT320 terminal connection problems

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 10:42:46PM +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Gregory Sutter wrote:
> >
> > I've got a genuine DEC VT320 that I'm trying to hook up to a FreeBSD
> > box.  I've got the MMJ to 25-pin serial connector, so the physical
> > connection is no problem, but I can't get any communication between
> > the FreeBSD box and the VT.
> >
> I've had one of these working with 2.2.2-RELEASE before... I seem to remember
> the problem was handshaking... I also seem to remember resorting to using the
> device on /dev/cuaaX rather than /dev/ttydX...

I can try that to see if it helps.  I'll let you know.

> Make sure your cable is wired properly... As a last resort try reversing pins 2
> and 3, and the handshaking pins (these depend on whether your using DB9 or DB25
> at the PC end)...

DB25 at the PC end, but the cable isn't anything I've made.  It's an
actual DECconnect Office Cable, with two MMJ ends.  One end plugs into
the VT, the other plugs into a DEC MMJ<-->DB25 converter, which I have
plugged into my serial port.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                 Bureaucrats cut red tape -- lengthwise.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com