Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:37:40 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        culverk@wam.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pmtimer

Hi,

> I'm not sure what pmtimer is supposed to do. Isn't it supposed to give
> support for the broken statclock on laptops? I saw my friend running 4.1
> with some patches that allowed him to use the statclock (and the rtc
> device showed up in systat -vm 2) On my laptop, pmtimer doesn't appear to
> do anything; and I couldn't find a manpage on it

Please refer to src/UPDATING for -current.
        The new pmtimer device is necessary for laptops.  Failure to
        include the device will cause suspended laptops losing time
        when they resume.

Currently pmtimer won't solve the broken statclock problem...
The timer related code at suspend/resume time have been moved from APM
to pmtimer so that ACPI (includes new power management system) use
pmtimer at sleep/wakeup time as well.

Thanks