Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:43:40 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unplugging disk under ZFS yield panic

--Sig_/TY/An./0jB88xYb.h.J37YL

Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:07:08PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix@harmless.hu> wrote:
> >=20
> > > I'd like to ask, whether it is normal behaviour when we're unplugging=
> > > disk under a ZFS system then on the first write a kernel panic happen=
ed.
> >=20
> > Sounds familiar. I currently have two PRs open for
> > reproducible kernel panics after a vdev gets lost:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/162010
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/162036
> >=20
> > Note that the pool layouts are different, though.
>=20
> Is this problem truly ZFS-specific?  I'd been tracking this problem for
> years, and was told it was fixed:

I'm not saying that my problems are ZFS-specific.
The backtraces mainly contain geom functions and no ZFS code,
so ZFS might be the victim here.

> http://wiki.freebsd.org/BugBusting/Commonly_reported_issues
>=20
> * Panic occurs when a mounted device (USB, SATA, local image file,
>   etc.) is removed
>=20
>   Workaround: Be sure to umount all filesystems before removing the
>   physical device
>   Partial fix: Committed to CURRENT (8.0) on/prior to 2008/02/21
>=20
>   There is ongoing work to fully fix this problem, ETA 2009/02=20

This is a different problem. It was even easier to reproduce
and at least I haven't seen it since the fixes went in.

Fabian

--Sig_/TY/An./0jB88xYb.h.J37YL

--Sig_/TY/An./0jB88xYb.h.J37YL--