Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 13:12:07 -0400
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@magnesium.net>
To:        Gordon Gilbert <gord@angel.eicat.ca>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading gnome

Gordon Gilbert wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:02:19 +0800
>> From: Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
>> To: Gordon Gilbert <gord@angel.eicat.ca>
>> Cc: gnome@FreeBSD.org
>> Subject: Re: Upgrading gnome
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Gordon Gilbert wrote:

>>> Thanks for replying.  My version of FreeBSD is 5.3.  I too was
>>> thinking that the problem is with Ruby.  Does this mean I should
>>> remove those three pkgs?  If so, how?  "pkg_delete"? or some other way?
>>>
>> I have had this problem after an failed upgrade to 5.4. I have had to
>> rebuild both the kernel and the world and the problem disappeared.
>>
>> Removing the package and reinstalling did not help in my case.
>>
>> You might wait until somebody else has a better option for you.
>>
>> Erich
>>

> Yeah, well, as my son says: "Parents, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
> UNSUPERVISED!!"  So I will pass this message on to him.
>
> But if anyone else has any ideas (I tried removing ruby, and it wouldn't
> let me), please let me know.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Blessings,
>
> Rev. Gordon Gilbert+

# pkg_delete ruby-1.6.8.2004.07.28_1 ruby16-shim-ruby18-1.8.1.p3
# portupgrade -rf ruby\*

The ruby16 stuff is outdated, and should be removed. The problem is
likely that the bdb module thinks it is supposed to be working with a
different version of ruby. Forcing a reinstall of the ruby stuff should
fix that.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger