Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 10:25:05 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network console cards?

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:27:51PM +0000, Peter Losher wrote:
> I am pondering placing a FreeBSD server at a remote location where there =
is
> likely no serial console access (Rocketport/Catalyst, etc).  Does anyone
> know of a manufacturer that makes a PCI card for network console access to
> a system (the card gets it's own IP address, in once instance you use a w=
eb
> interface to access the system to reboot, view it's console, etc.)  I have
> seen them in use on Dell and Compaq servers (where they are embedded in
> the MB), and wondered if that technology had reached card form and
> available to use on common server HW.
>=20
> Any ideas?

The Intel server motherboards support some sort of network console
redirection.  I'm not sure if OS support is needed to use it or not.

Another option you might consider is buying one of cyclades TS100 1-port
terminal server and just hanging it off the back:

http://www.cyclades.com/products/index.php?id=3D4

I've used the multiport ones with FreeBSD to great effect.  As a rule, I
put one in just about every rack I have installed.

-- Brooks

--=20

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X--