Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:12:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Don Read <dread@texas.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Joe <ibjoe@home.com>
Subject:   Re: DOS/Windows telnet program

Don Read wrote:

> On 12-Aug-99 Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > Joe wrote:
> >>
> >> So my question is, can anyone recommend a public (free) version
> >> of telnet that runs on the Windows95 PC?
> >
> > Windows 95 has a telnet that comes with it.
>
> the MS telnet is horribly borken. QVT-Term is much better

How is it broken? It works and that is all I have noticed.

If I telnet to FreeBSD, it is usually from an NT machine where I can
choose foreground / background colors and window sizes. It is just
luck that I can change Win 98's telnet to blue and white because you
don't have a choice on foreground. I've never thought about setting
colors when I telnet to NT from FreeBSD and that is kind of funny. I
don't do it very often and it hasn't passed the irritating point.

> http://tucows.accu-find.com/adnload/dlqvtterm.html
>
>                                 There is also a poor
> > version of ftp.
>
> If you're speaking of the command-line ftp, it's a direct steal of the
> *nix code. rather fast compared to the point 'n drool replacements.

I actually dislike Win FTP more than their telnet because I have
gotten used to the auto-restart that is built into ws_FTP_pro, which
is one of the point and drool versions. There are times when I have
started a download and let it run for 16-18 hours. My ISP kicks me off
after 8 hours, I do a restart, select the rest of the files, and
continue until I am kicked off again. The restart is far more valuable
than anything else I use. There were far many more times when I was
kicked off after transfering 80% or more than less than 25%. If I had
an ADSL, it wouldn't have mattered because I never would have been
kicked off.

I run my FTP sessions from Windows even though the files are intended
for FreeBSD.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA