Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:12:33 -0600
From:      sound byte <sound-byte1@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   my x (server)

i have read the complete freebsd and have tried to find some sort of
answer for my problem.  before i state it here; here is some background.

i have freebsd (4.1) running on an IBM Aptiva (pentium iii 450), freebsd
currently co-exists with windows 98 on two seperate hard disks.  i have
a 17 inch IBM monitor.  According to the monitor manual, it can handle a
max of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz.  the sync range is as follows:
Horiz: 30kHz - 69kHz
Vert: 50Hz - 120Hz

according to superprobe my video card is the S3 Savage 4 with 8MB Ram.

now in windows i have my screen resolution set at 1152 x 864 and the
depth is at 16bits.

i have configured my display in x at 1024 x 768 at 8bpp

i have two problems:

for some reason i cannot go above 8bpp.  if i try to go to 16 (or 24)
the monitor shuts down and just sits there.  i have to kill the x-server
and go back to 8bpp.  whats the deal here?

also, if i try to go above the 1024x768 resolution that then the screen
starts to shimmer.  i know thats a bad word to use but i can't describe
it any other way -  and i mean shiver in a bad way.  what (again) is the
deal here?

at 1024 x 768 (8bpp); the colours just dont seem to come out naturally
hence my dis-satisfaction.

anything forthcoming would be welcome!

thanks in advance

imran