Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:10:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        steve@microdot.com (Steve Spiller)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Now it routes, now it don't!

> Well, I'm not sure what I did, or maybe it was a fluke that it was even
> working in the first place, but i'm having routing problems.
>
> Heres the scenerio :
>
> Machine A and B are both a part of the network 205.134.198
> Machine A is running FreeBSD 2.0.5, and Machine B is running Windows 95.
> Machine A talks to machine B, machine B responds.  All is happy and good.
>
> Now, machine A uses its modem to dial my PPP provider and establish a
> connection.  This connection creates the address of 204.71.144.66 ( local
> ) and 204.71.144.?? ( remote ).  So now machine A ( 205.134.198.1 ) can
> talk to machine B ( 205.134.198.2 ) and machine A can also talk to the
> rest of the Net.
>
> I have the address 204.71.144.66 as my default router,

Hmmm, it's late, but on your FreeBSD machine shouldn't your default router
be 204.71.144.?? (remote).

> #define GATEWAY compiled into the kernel etc .

More importantly than defining GATEWAY is making sure that ipforwarding
is, in fact, enabled.

sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding

should return 1.

> working.  Now, I can't for the life of me get machine B to see the Net or
> vice verca.

> In fact, the Outside world won't see machine A as
> 205.134.198.1, only 204.71.144.66.

The route to 205.134.198.0 seems to be broken in your providers net.  Packets
to that net get stuck bouncing between irxe1.tpl0.nwrain.net (204.71.144.34)
and 204.71.144.33 (204.71.144.33)

Ask your provider or the admin of 204.71.144 to fix the routing for your
Class C.

Now given the routing to your Class C is broken I would expect that
packets destined for your Win95 machine wouldn't make it.

So step one is to get the routing for your Class C fixed.  Step two,
is making sure the default route on your Win95 machine points to
205.134.198.1

--
Brian Litzinger       |                                                        |
brian@mediacity.com   |           This space intentionally left blank          |