Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:53:17 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Rob Anderson" <unixchf@adelphia.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound Issues

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 11:15 pm, Rob Anderson wrote:
| Hi I just bought my first copy of freebsd about 3 days ago.  I know you
| don't want nothing to do with me right?  Sorry.

That's what we're here for.  We were all new once.  I was new 7 years ago . .
. but then I stopped using it so long I got to be almost-new all oever again
last year.

 I installed it on Toshiba
| Satellite 2250xcds.  Once again I know you don't want nothing to do with
| me. That is two strikes. I have got it loaded and it works wonderfully.  I
| just can't seem to figure out how to configure the sound.  I have been
| using Linux for about 2 years and I have been going to school for UNIX for
| about a year now.  I can get around in it pretty good, but I am not getting
| the sound issue.  I have used the maestro modules in linux which seem to
| work really well with my sound, but I can't seem to find the configuration
| utility, if there is one, to install the maestro and configure the sound.

Should be able to just load maestro support.

First try this by hand:
kldload snd_pcm
kldload snd_maestro3    (Assuming you have a maestro3)

if that works, the simple solution is to do that on bootup.  I have an a
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/zz.sh that looks like this myself.  I doubt you want all
of this stuff, but it shows some of the stuff you can do.

#! /bin/csh -f

# start
if (_$1 == _start) then
   # I had gotten rid of this before--what did I do?
   # Anyway I seem to need it back again.  If I get
   # it fixed again, make a note here so I know what
   # I did!

  #kldstat > /root/zz.sh.was.here
   kldload snd_pcm
   kldload snd_maestro3
  #kldstat >> /root/zz.sh.was.here
   sleep 1
   /usr/local/bin/aumix -v 30
   echo -n ' zz (snd_maestro)'

  #/usr/local/bin/kdm

  # This should have started already but in real life that doesn't
  # seem to be the case.
  # postfix start

  ntpdate otc1.psu.edu
endif