Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 12:36:22 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        brianch@us.ibm.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file system error

brianch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I am a FreeBSD newbie and I have been using FreeBSD on my home computer since
> December 1998.  So far, I have only been using FreeBSD to do email with
> netscape.  Recently I have been getting error messages stating that I could not
> write to a file because it was full.  This message only occurs when I try to
> move an email to a different folder or a similar mail function.  Today I could
> not even start x-windows with the startx command because of the file system full
> error.  The exact error message is :  "myname /kernel: pid 225 (m4), uid 0 on /:
> file system full"  Can you help me to get this problem resolved?
>
> When I do a df command, what is the significance of each of the entries listed
> in the output?  The first one in the list on my computer is at 104% capacity!!

As the error suggests the root filesystem is full. It could be several
things. /tmp could be full of temporary files. Do you login and run
netscape as root? If so then your e-mail directory will be /nsmail.

To fix it, do ``boot -s'' at the boot prompt (you don't say what
version of FreeBSD you're running, the boot prompt is slightly
different between 2.2.x and 3.1) then rm(1) everthing in /tmp. Also
check for *.core files, and rm them. Use df to check how much free
space you've generated.

If you are running as root all the time then create yourself a new
user, and run netscape as that user instead (non-root users have their
home dir in /usr, not /, by default).

BTW, the reason that the filesystem can be 104% full is because the
system reserves ~10% for itself. Add the figures in the "avail" and
"used" columns together for a filesystem and the result will only be
~90% of the "blocks" column.

HTH