Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:52:01 -0700
From:      "David Fuchs" <dfuchs@uniserve.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Telnet Encryption

I've been told that I can reveal the passwords of my users by sniffing port
23.  I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to work, all I can see is the
user's username.  In this case, is security a concern with telnet? Why go to
the extra trouble of SSH when telnet *seems* safe in the first place?  The
only way I've been able to retrieve passwords is by sniffing ports 110 and
143, but I'm a little more concerned with the telnet accounts.  Any ideas on
this?

Thanx!

-David