Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 07:05:48 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, grog@lemis.de
Subject:   Re: Corrupted CVS updates

> I've been having the devil's own problems with ctm and cvs lately.
> For some reason, cvs-cur 2741 wouldn't apply (md5 checksum error in
> pci.c, couldn't force), so I spent 30 hours re-rolling my tree from
> cvs-cur 380a.  Then I updated my build tree, and make world has just
> died while running sys/conf/newvers.sh.  On closer examination, this
> file contains:
>
>   #     @(#)newvers.sh  8.1 (Berkeley) 4/20/94
>   <<<<<<< newvers.sh
>   #        $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.22 1995/11/10 21:52:59 joerg Exp $
>   =======
>   #     $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.29 1996/11/26 06:55:35 ache Exp $
>   >>>>>>> 1.29
>
>   TYPE="FreeBSD"
>
> Now it definitely didn't do that a couple of days ago, and rcsdiff
> shows that that's not what's in the repository, either.  Of course, my
> update list has long since scrolled off the top of the screen, so I
> can't check the error messages, but this happens often enough (about
> every two months) to be annoying.  Where does this come from?

Have you applied any patches or changes to sys/conf/newvers.sh that
haven't come from the CVS tree?

I've had the same problem when testing out some of Justins aic7xxx
driver changes and hacking around a little on my own.  When doing
a "CVS update -P -d src", I would also stop in the middle of a
make with errors caused by the same CVS "diffs" you show above.
I scanned the CVS man page, but ended up deleting the affected
files, and doing another update which fixed the problem.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org